Carpooling or ridesharing can be a fast and convenient way to get around without driving. All you need is at least one other person headed to the same locations or at least willing to accommodate your destinations if they are along the same route.
- It’s a great way to save money by reducing transportation costs.
- It’s easy, flexible and one of the fastest ways to get around without driving.
- You only need one other person to get started.
- It’s great for the environment, because fewer vehicles emit pollution.
If you don’t know anyone interested in ridesharing, try posting a message on your community bulletin board or talking with friends and neighbors to gauge interest.
Starting your own carpool or ridesharing arrangement
- Consider ridesharing on a trial basis for a few weeks or trips to determine if the arrangement works for you. Be flexible and reconsider your arrangements if they do not seem to be working.
- If necessary, agree on payment schedules. It’s very common for non-drivers to contribute to expenses. However, there may not be a need to exchange money if you trade the use of your car.
- If you don’t drive but still have your car, keep it in good condition. A dirty or unreliable car can become a deal breaker for members of your rideshare group.