Car crashes can happen to even the most experienced drivers, so it’s good to know what to do after a crash. Ensure you have all your bases covered:
- Most importantly, stay calm.
- Make sure you and your passengers are okay and not injured.
- If possible, maneuver your vehicle off the roadway to prevent a secondary crash.
- Alert the appropriate authorities by calling 911 right away.
- Report the incident to your insurance company, regardless of whether you are ticketed or think you are at fault.
- Do not admit fault to anyone. Factually report what occurred only to the police and your insurance company.
- Collect incident information from all parties at the scene, including any witnesses. Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver, and get the names of any passengers as well.