Driving is a skill that can and should be continually improved. AAA’s Roadwise Driver™ is a course that can be taken online or in a classroom to help senior drivers keep driving knowledge fresh and get the most out of your vehicle, while reducing risk to you, your passengers and others on the road. The course covers topics like:
- Extending Your Safe Driving Career
- Distractions, Drowsiness, Aggressive Driving & Road Rage
- Managing Visibility, Time & Space
- Alcohol & Medications
- Comfort & Safety Tips
Although SeniorDriving.AAA.com contains many driving tips, taking a comprehensive driving improvement course will ensure that you have the most up-to-date driving techniques and understand the latest vehicle technologies.
As you age, it is important for senior drivers to know and understand how to adjust for slower reflexes, weaker vision and other changes. Some of the benefits related to taking AAA’s Roadwise Driver™ improvement course are:
- Potential discount on insurance premiums.
- Getting up to speed on the latest in vehicle technology, such as adaptive cruise control and lane-departure warning systems. Learn the proper use of these and other safety systems available in vehicles today.
As a group, senior drivers are at a higher risk of having a serious collision per mile driven than any other age group except for those under age 25. Drivers in their late 70s have about the same number of injury-involved crashes per mile driven as drivers in their early 20s. And driver’s age 85 and older are injured or killed in crashes at a higher rate than any other age group. This is due primarily to increased fragility that comes with age. Older senior drivers are generally less able to withstand the forces of a crash, so they are more likely to become injured, compared with younger, stronger and fitter individuals. Older adults also don’t typically recover from injuries as quickly as they once did.
AAA is the leader in driver safety. In fact, AAA invented driver training in 1935.
- AAA’s driver improvement courses are packed with up-to-date safe driving techniques and can help sharpen your skills.
- AAA’s driver improvement courses may be offered through the classroom, online or both. Courses are not available in all areas. Contact your local AAA club for more information.
- In many states, AAA driver improvement courses enable you to get a discount on insurance premiums.